At Castle Vets we see many rabbits and rodents with a variety of different dental problems. The teeth of most animals (including humans) stop growing after the initial development period, but rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs and rodents have teeth that grow continuously throughout their lives, which means dental problems will develop if these pets are unable to grind their teeth down through feeding and chewing.
Symptoms of a dental problem
- Decreased appetite, your pet may stop eating completely or only manage very small amounts at a time.
- Pawing at or rubbing their face on things
- Swellings around the jaw area or under the eye
- Weight loss
- Runny eyes (one or both eyes may be involved)
- Discharge from the cheek or jaw area
- Overgrown teeth may be visible
If your pet is showing any of these symptoms, please book an appointment with your vet straight away.